+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Weights

I'm getting into things here
    Overall activity: 0%

Level
    Thanks

Default Weights

Hello, I'm new here, and thought I would share my view on weight training.
    I'm personally against weights; I like exercises that you can do anywhere. Calisthenics and stuff like that. Also, you can simply trick your mind into using "weights". Just position yourself as though you would a weight, (dumb bells in this case) and curl like you would, but flex and really try as though you are lifting weights, but really there's nothing in your hands, it's just a visualization. Also something I find interesting is the way astronausts keep themselves physically fit in space; they basically just use their own force by placing their hand on their forarm and pushing against it as they "curl" their biceps.
    Anyway, just my thoughts when it comes to weights; what are your thoughts when it comes to weights?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to John For This Useful Post:

Karate Kitty (02-20-2012)

I'm part of this place
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredOverdriveTagger First Class10000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Award for most number of postsHighest ratings receivedCheif post taggerAward for most number of threadsBlog contributor awardCurrent points Champion2nd most thanks receivedMost thread views
    Level
    Thanks

My thoughts.... I think they are a great tool, but are not the only way... as you as well as many others before have pointed out. I'm for weights, but in moderation. They serve their purpose.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Chaleira For This Useful Post:

I'm part of this place
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Level
    Thanks

Weights to me should be done in a balanced regimen. If you bulk up too much you loose flexibility, however, if you have no strength in larger (or even smaller) muscle groups even calisthenics would prove difficult. MAists for centuries have used various tools, weights, etc to increase their abilities. I just don't think they should be a sole focus.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Taoquan For This Useful Post:

People know me well around here
    Overall activity: 44.7%
    Awards:
    2nd Most use of Thanks system
    Level
    Thanks

It all depends on how you train and your goals. A good bulking up program usually involves 10-rep max sets and a lot of protein consumption. It is difficult to work out many parts of the body without weights, but I use primarily kettle bells, medicine balls, sand bags and a variety of other objects. I know a vast array of body weight exercises that I use but bodyweight training has it's limits. I don't favor low rep high weight exercises, particularly squats! Our joints have limits and even muscles, tendons and ligaments have limits and high weight low rep training can cause these to fail with catastrophic results. I have used lower weight high rep exercises coupled with high-intensity circuit training and bodyweight exercises and had great results with no injuries! I can do 85 situps (not crunches) in two minutes, 72 (correct) push-ups in 2 minutes, run 2 miles in under 12 minutes or 5 miles in under 35! I can sprint up a 1/4 mile hill, do a set of sit-ups then sprint back down without a break. I am not saying these things to brag, but I have spent a great deal of effort finding a system that works, and now that I have it, the results speak for themselves! I am the fastest runner in my unit (Army) for anything over 300meters or hills. Everyone chalks my success up to natural running ability but in reality it is a lot of hard work that others aren't willing to do.

If you want to get in outstanding bullet-proof shape do dynamic exercises (that use movement to create instability). Utilize plyometrics or explosive movements. Do circuits alternating exercises in quick succession to build full-body cardio. Vary your exercise routine constantly. Make sure to include rest days to avoid over training, it sucks. That's my rant on working out! If you have questions I always enjoy helping others better themselves so ask.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to matt787 For This Useful Post:

Karate Kitty (02-20-2012), Entropy102 (11-14-2011)

Reputable Member
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registeredOverdrive10000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    ModeratorMost thanks receivedCurrent points runner up
    Level
    Thanks

If you want to look at effective training regimes, look at what soldiers do...not astronauts.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Entropy102 For This Useful Post:

Karate Kitty (02-20-2012), Taoquan (11-15-2011)

Instructor at Shi Kon Martial Arts International
    Achievements:
    7 days registeredTagger Second Class1000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    Recognition award
    Level
    Thanks

Seriously though.... you need to choose who you are - if you choose to be a Martial Artist do everything as a MAist. Two thirds MA's to one third anything else and do them in a MA way. If you train with weights it's good to use heavy weapons instead to increase your skill level. If you go to the gym connect don't isolate, move weight from your feet, through your core out through your hands. I use the gym and weaponary as an extension of my neigong and qigong.

It's not what you do - it's HOW you do it that counts...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Shikonboss For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Train for your arena.

If you are a competitive MA then train for 3 minute rounds, one-to-one confrontations within certain rules. If you're a soldier train on teamwork, use of firearms with accuracy, endurance, in 70kg of kit. If you're in law enforcement train in restraint, running, and teams within a legal framework. If you're in a rough area and are interested in survival train in awareness, running, Parkour, intelligence gathering (where to go, where not), multiple opponents and how soon you can move!
    The examples can go on, but I hope you get the point.
    Contributor to the Ninjutsu section.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to newburydojo For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

I have a book on like 200 different exercises without weights. Sounds pretty average, but I must say I've basically given up weights because I prefer bodyweight exercises. The book has an exercise for every muscle in yoru body, and advanced exercises if some get boring. "You are your own gym" by Joshua Clark.

Many boxers dont use weights and can knock out a horse. So its not necessary to think "I need weights otherwise my punches/kicks are going to be weak." Strength training for martial arts can work well with weights, I just believe it should be done the least out of other workout routines.
    Also weight training doesnt reduce flexibility, pretty sure thats a myth, I believe several gymnasts use weights in their workouts. The gymnastics school in my area has a small weight section from memory.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Pineapple For This Useful Post:

I'm established here
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

If done right it doesnt affect flexibility mariusz pudzianowski can do the splits and he's done a little bit of weighlifting.

Weights are fantastic and if you use them correctly for your needs they'll assist you greatly.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Spaceman For This Useful Post:

I'm established here
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thanks

Personally I do weight training at least once a week, but there are different ways of using weights to achieve different fitness and conditioning goals. I don't understand some peoples rejection of weight training, to only focus on body weight exercises. Why restrict yourself.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to andym For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast