+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can someone tells me about Kendo

One post wonder
    Overall activity: 0%

Level
    Thanks

Default Can someone tells me about Kendo

I am into Japanese style martial arts, but have no knowledge of Kendo. Donít know if anyone who does this style. I would like to know what kind of training and where i can get lessons from.

People know me well around here

Level
    Thanks

I don't know much about kendo because me and my friends just learn from the internet, but here is a link to the wikipedia article on Kendo. This will probably help you out.

Kendo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

People know me well around here

Level
    Thanks

About the lessons I am not sure. Where do you live? I'm sure if you google'd Kendo Lessons and put where you live something would show up.

Reputable Member
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registeredOverdrive10000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    ModeratorMost thanks receivedCurrent points runner up
    Level
    Thanks

I think this post is kind of old but there isn't much info on kendo so I thought I would jump in.

I did kendo for about a year. I was training in a high school club though so it was a bit difficult for me to fully get into it (high school students are kind of hard core and it is difficult to come in as a beginner).

Kendo is basically a simulation of a real sword fight. I suppose you could consider it fencing but with the aim to cut an opponent rather than stab them.

The armour you wear is called a bogu (protector) and the bamboo sword you use is called a shinai. The aim is to hit an opponent in the locations men (mask/head), dou (chest/chetplate), kotei (wrist/wrist guard) or tsuchi (throat plate). The techniques have to be quick and sharp or they don't score. You must also step into a technique using a step called fumikomiashi (stamping in) and you must yell the location you intended to hit to show you have control of your movements.

Kendo is fun but pretty difficult especially in Japans climate. The armour is heavy and the dogi is thick so in Japan's hot humid summers it is a nightmare. The cold winters are also really hard on your feet that you are constantly smashing into the freezing floor. I had a bit of a problem when I was training because I was training in karate at the same time which uses multiple stances where as kendo only has one stance so you are alaways standing on the same part of your feet (blisters, woot!)

All in all, I really enjoyed training in kendo bu I don't know what the future holds for me when it comes to starting up again.

If anyone has any more questions then I can try and answer them.

Peace

Banned
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive500 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Exactly what entropy said. Japanese Swordsmanship in a nutshell.

+ Reply to Thread